I’ve been in ESN for long enough to understand that being flexible is the best way to do things, but at the same time, every time I travel or I move to a different place, I just cant help to notice the cultural differences between different countries.
I could have ended up this summer in Bruxelles, but I ended up in Italy. Why? Holidays with friends, working for EU in EXPO Milano and Erasmus for Entrepreneurs in Naples.
Probably, from now on, I will be telling you what is happening around here.
What did I notice so far?
- Is more than mama. It is a Mammmaaa, and when they say it, your heart melts. No wonder why they say that Italian guys are so attached to their moms.
- You can actually see it everywhere and ever since I moved to Naples I am starting to think that maybe it’s not such a bad idea to get one.
No traffic in Milan.
- I was very surprised to see that there is little traffic in Milano. You might say it’s not true, but I’ve barely seen cars and public transportation is really cool.
- Like in Portugal, where my friends were laughing at me for always drinking Galao, italians are drinking coffee shots, which is something I am pretty sure I cannot adapt to. Therefore, I think I will stick to my Galao.
Pizza non stop.
- If there are 3 things I hate most in the world is pasta, pizza and rice. I am avoiding rice as much as possible after eating rice non stop in Portugal, then I ended up in the middle of Asia for 2 years. After living in Italy, I am guessing that I will not eat pizza for a very long time.
- One of the coolest experiences of my life. Marketing, people, human behavior psychology, cultures, food, technology and great friends.
No air con.
- I’ve been here for about a month now and I have not see any single person who drives and has their air con on. Instead, opening the windows seems like the best solution.
- Everybody I’ve met here calls everybody amore, cuore, carino, bella. Maybe Eastern European people are colder people in this sense, but it’s a bit hard to understand when you use it and when you actually mean it when talking to people you like, fall in love with or people who you’ve just met.
- They wear a lot of make-up and seeing how some people act, made me remember small cities Romania or sometimes Vaslui.
Everything is moda.
- If there is any reason why Italians are acting or dressing in a certain way, it’s because of ,,moda”. Therefore, fashion in their blood my friends, but not always good taste I may say.
- It is well known that Italians are not best friends with English, but when it comes to songs, they all know all the lyrics.
- My friends are laughing at me, but seriously, coming from Romania, where there are 5 girls to a men, Italy for me is a sausage party. I haven’t decided yet if this is a good or a bad thing.
More things? Coming up soon!